Sunday, April 11, 2010

A library without books? Yeah right!!!

As a part of my ETL503 studies, I have also read Mal Lee's article, "A Library without books". It seems as though Lee has wanted the closure of school libraries since the mid 90's. Something I consider a wrong move. I believe there is a place in this world for print and digital media. In saying that, TL's must be prepared to change. In the readings I have completed so far for this course, it has become apparent that TL's need to be at the forefront of technological advances if their role and the role of the library is not to become obsolete.

I understand that some TL's might be a little daunted about getting away from the books and into the post-literate society but if it will benefit the school community, shouldn't an attempt be made?

I also feel that libraries and TL's can be bought up to speed in a post-literate society without resulting in name changes such as 'information services unit' and 'director of learning technology'.

No comments:

Post a Comment